Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"The Lady From The Sweet smile Changed My Life," by Maria

By Maria Mizhquiri

When I saw her for the first time I was fascinated by her sweet smile. Her smile looked like a cotton candy different to mine. My smile was false nothing else. When she laughs, all of sweet start to reflect into my heart it seemed that if some of it touch my deep heart.

When she saw me the first time, she said Hello! What is your name? With a deep lovely voice. I was so impressed by her adorable smile and her sweetness personality that I could only move my head she was Mrs. Luz my son's friend mom, who later changed my life.

On my first days in PS 78 School, I was lonely and afraid my children teacher didn’t speak with me a lot because they knew that I couldn’t speak English I felt miserable that I’m not good mother for my children I asked myself .what I can did to learn some English who could help me to got into the English class.

The next day I met with Mrs. Luz again at the PS78 door She invited me for a workshop will be only for immigrant’s parents of the PS78 Children At the family room at 9:00 am.

Exactly on time I went to the workshop a beautiful lady with the sweet smile walked into the family room. She was Mrs. Luz she was a teacher and coordinator for the Family Literacy Program. She introduce to everybody in English and Spanish and asked each one to introduce to I introduced my self I said my name, my country my status how many children I have, their names and what school grades are they.

She explained about her program, The program was only for immigrants families who had children at PS78 school in the program were not only to learned English something else like how the families to be involved in their children school and how to encourage children to be successful in their school and also was computer class and video tape . I signed up for the classes, In my first day of class I felt completely lost I didn’t understand nothing I felt bored, at the ended of class she met with me and asked how I felt she asked first in English she did everything to tried me to understood she used her body language but I didn’t get nothing what she was telling me. The last she talked to me in my native language Spanish. She talked to me with her sweet smile and lovely voice don’t worry you very soon will are speaking in English and she gave me a template to felled up that was about my goals in my first 3 months in the program in my future moreover what I’m going did to accomplished the goals.

She came here to New York long time ago as foreigner like me so she understood my feelings very well. When I looked sad and depressed she talked with me, only hearing her voice and her smile changed my mind and made my feelings get up.

In her program I learned to speak, write, and read in English not very well but enough to be able to understand my children’s teacher, how to help with my children's homework. Also, I learned Microsoft word, how to save the files, cut, type, edit, paste, copy, and print. The computer was very important for me. Moreover, I learned how to use the video camera. After I had been in her program for 6 months, she hired me at her program as a teacher assistant with a part time job almost for two years. She hired me as a family worker with a full time job, and in that job I was in important conference meetings about adults' and children's education that are helping me to improve my English. Furthermore, I was able to have the ability to sustain my family.

I never could forget the lady with sweet a smile always. I'll keep her in my mind and in my heart for the rest of my life.However, she still is beginning me and my children's education.I feel proud of her,and want to give thanks to her about every thing she did for me. I'm helping my children, and some day in the future they will have a good career in their lives and can say to her here is your work.

1 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

When I read this, I remember how important teachers are and I want to be a better one!

Kevin

Thu Jul 31, 05:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home