Wednesday, May 11, 2005

BY Yuko Namiki

There were a lot of lights on the buildings which were red,yellow,orang,green and blue.It was like every colors were there.Also there were a lot of honks of cabs,tracks and cars.I felt as if I were in the earth’s core.

That was in the summer with brilliant sunshine.I saw the prospect which was similar to the city I was born, it made me more excited than I had imagined I would be beforeI departed from Japan.

I was looking outside from a taxi that I had already reserved at New Ark air port and taking about what I wanted to do in the Big Apple with a taxi driver with my poor English.

I really wanted to go to New York since I had been into the Big Apple .One day,I was reading a magagine which about New York City,and the view infuluenced me to fly there myself.Therefore I suddenly decided to go to travel agency to get tickets for New York.I was totally excited.On the other hand ,I got nervous.

After I got to a hotel in New York which I had dreamed about for long time,I immediately decided to go out somewhere enjoyable and fascinating.I walked around on the street to find nice bars or clubs and I finally found a lounge where everybody seemed relaxd.They were listing to a band playing R&B.As I enterd the lounge ,I felt as if I were lost in the earth’s core.Because everyone was speaking English that I didn’t understand at all,and I saw none Asian like me.


I walked toward the bar to get a drink without ID that I needed in order to prove over 20,although I was not.Fortunately,nobody asked me about that,so I was smoothly able to buy a corona which was my favorite,and sat the bar.

I pretended that I did speak English well.However,that was without success.After a while ,some people came to talk to me about where I was from and something like that.
I was completely messed up,because the more I tried to understand English,the more I was losing my mind.


People at lounge were so kindly and solely to speak to me one way,eventhogh I couldn’t understand well.I had gotten the situations during my first abrod trip for ten days
Before I left.

After I got back to Japan,I determined to hit the English books ,although it was sometimes very hard to preserve my will.If I could speak English,I could have funmore.Anyway,I had extreamly fantastic times. As I look back on the day,if I had’t gone to NY at the time,I still would be in Japan with aboring life,I guess. Ireally appreciate to the dicision when I was 18.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home