Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Age Discrimination in Colombia and the United States, by Aura Bonilla

Age discrimination for work; Colombia and The United States
By Aura Bonilla.


I feel comfortable here because I don’t have to care about unemployment. Unlike in

Colombia, everybody can find a job. In general, almost everybody work in America.

Americans are busy and stressed people and Colombians are not. Compared to

Americans, who think the most important thing is money and being successful in

Their jobs. For people in Colombia just finding work becomes a serious problem.

We Colombians tend to dislike elderly people working, and their can’t find any job.

When I came to North America I was surprised to see old people working hard

And no one putting pressure upon them because of age. In Colombia a man who is

In his forties is referred to as an ‘old man’

In contrast to Americans, who think people after forty are young

And can do many things, Colombians tend to discriminate against these people and

Act with out consideration for their fillings.

One day I saw in the employment office many people trying to find a job.

Three young men gave their applications to the secretary and one man who looked

Between forty and fifty years old was called by the woman and sent to the job .

She said to him, ‘I think you are the right person for this job because I can see you

Have enough experience’.

Now I heaved learned that when people want to do something the

Age is not important. The most important thing is your attitude.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home