Wednesday, December 01, 2004

telc students and teacher

ISMAIL, ILHAM

DECEMBER1, 04
TECHER; KEVIN ‘’MY LIFE IN NEW YORK’’


I feel uncomfortable here because I have to care about other people. Unlike in Lebanon, in New York Americans are individualistic. They don’t care about what they wearing, or hoe they speak. In contrast, in my country people make complaints all the time about everything. Generally speaking, Americans are open-minded, and people from my country are not. Compared to Americans, who think the most important thing is money and fun, for people in my country respect becomes the standard of behavior.


For example, Americans choose their clothes without caring about other people. As a result, we can see an old lady whose age is 50 and up not only wearing a skirt, but also wearing sneakers. When I first came to New York, I was surprised to see an old woman who couldn’t walk without someone’s help wearing jeans and using red lipstick. In my country we hardly see such sights as are here. People in my country follow their age. Moreover they respect their age, and people’s comments.


Another example is our feeling about age. Since I came here, I have scarcely thought about my age. In New York, I have realized that American people don’t care about their age. In my country, however, our age defined our personality. For instance, we have a marriageable age, about 20 to 30. When someone, especially a woman, stayed without marriage beyond that age, people refer to her as an ‘’old women.’’


The Lebanese way of thinking of others is sometimes good. In contrast to Americans, who speak in a disrespectful way with each other. Lebanese tend to spesk and act with observance of others’ feeling and point of view. One day recently I observed an interesting incident. I was on the train. Sitting on the train beside me there were two men. And there was another poor man who was playing a musical instrument. After he finished, they began talking about that guy in bad words, I didn’t like their way of speaking.


Finally, I can say that our environment forms our character. We communicate with each other as we learn from our environment and society. A reason maybe that America is a big country called a melting pot, and Lebanon is a small country. It’s good to know a different culture, I want to respect both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home