Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Differences Between America and Japan

Wataru Nakano

Generally speaking, Japanese are polite, but American people are not.
My reaction was complicated when I first came to New York., because American people, especially New Yorkers, look selfish. Indeed, they were just as it was said.


For example, one day, lost my way in Manhattan, so I asked two policemen and a person who was walking near me by chance. One of policemen told me a wrong way to my destination, and another ignored me. And the person said brusquely ”I’ve no time, sorry.”


Another example is this. Most American people don’t keep traffic rules. I can see the people who ignore traffic signals as if they couldn’t see them. However, most Japanese people keep traffic rules even if they are in a foreign country.


In Manhattan, I saw a Japanese person who was waiting for a traffic signal. Other American people and even a decrepit old woman ignored it and went across, but that Japanese man kept waiting until it changed. I was proud of this man because these days Japanese people are becoming lazy about being polite.


It is said that Japanese people are polite, but American people are not. However I think that not only American people but also most people can’t tall being bold from being rude. If they can distinguish that, most people may be polite.
I’m also one of those who can’t distinguish that because I often ignore traffic signals as American people do. May be I ought to be ashamed of my self as one of them.

2 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

I agree in some points of what you say. I am a Colombian girl and I have been living in this country for five years already and I am still impressed by some people behaviors, especially in afroamericans. they are so rude. And sometimes they make me feel awful. I think only for being inmigrant. But our team work as a inmigrants is teach to them that we have manners and respect for everybody. I remenber one day when I just came I was walking in a train station very slowly listening to my music, and a black girl behind me cursed me just because I was in her way. I dont understand why she had to act like that when it is so easy say am sorry and be polite, maybe I grew up diferently and the way I see this world is more peaceful. But what we have to do is keep going,and respect everybody as well.

Sat Jan 29, 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger the blog said...

I agree in some points of what you say. I am a Colombian girl and I have been living in this country for five years already and I am still impressed by some people behaviors, especially in afroamericans. they are so rude. And sometimes they make me feel awful. I think only for being inmigrant. But our team work as a inmigrants is teach to them that we have manners and respect for everybody. I remenber one day when I just came I was walking in a train station very slowly listening to my music, and a black girl behind me cursed me just because I was in her way. I dont understand why she had to act like that when it is so easy say am sorry and be polite, maybe I grew up diferently and the way I see this world is more peaceful. But what we have to do is keep going,and respect everybody as well.

Sat Jan 29, 03:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home