Monday, March 10, 2008

"My own New York Story"

03/05
Ann

New York, how great a place! Before I have been here I had dreamed about the wonderful world of N.Y. But one month later, I woke up from my dream. The subway is always crowded, broken and dirty. Moreover, there are so many Chinese and Koreans nearby the house which I live in. I came here to study English but everybody is Asian. Not only people who were born in N.Y. but too many people who came from other countries also live here. I didn't like this situation. I have to go outside to Manhattan to meet people who speak English. It made me annoyed. But one month later again, I adapted to this New York life. I started enjoying myself in New York. This city is a place in which various people who have different culture gather. I realized that here, I can not only study English ut I also can experience other various cultures.

The place I first visited alone in Manhattan was Chelsea. Unlike in Korea, there are so many individual galleries. In addition, the entrance fare is free! I felt the enthusiasm of artists at that place. In galleries, I also met a foreign person explaining the painting. I couldn't understand his whole explanation so I asked him over again. But he was never angry. In fact in Korea, if I were in this situation, the people who explained the picture must be angry. They was kind to me even though I couldn't understand their saying. I was impressed.

Also it is usual for people who have never met before to speak to each other. Koreans tend to dislike talking with strangers. Someday when I was going to school, the man who was going to work was talking to me. He said to me he was interested in Korea. We talked about respective culture in a subway for quite a long time. I couldn't speak English well like he who was born in N.Y. but we communicated. He encouraged me and said that I could do that. He didn't dislike talking to a stranger. At first, I thought it seemed strange. But now I have changed. I say hello to people that I don't know.

Moreover, I feel enormously comfortable and free. These people are individualistic so unless I ignore the law of N.Y, they don't care about me. Yesterday, I walked the street wearing sports wear, as for dancing, after my dance class. How ridiculous! But nobody cared about me. If I danced on the road in Korea, everybody may look at me and grin. I think it is just a culture difference.

Anyway, I am being a New Yorker and I adopted very well to this N.Y life. I am very happy that the chance was given to me to experience this life. I am getting to love New York even more now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home