Wednesday, December 01, 2004

telc students and teacher

A multi cultural human

Won Jin, kim


Sophia, who has lived in the U.S.A for 15 years, said she has missed Korea since she came here when she was 8 years old. Even though she is already used to living here. She often feels differences. Many Americans often say,” That’s not my business.” Indeed people don’t care about other and other’s behavior here. Sometimes it makes me comfortable, but sometimes that makes me lonely even in my relatives.

For example, if I ask something more that is not the employee’s job, they tell me that is not their business, or they can’t give me the answer. In contrast, in Korea even employees who work in a public office, give an answer tome. After I came here, I learned that I should be more gentle and polite when I ask something to anyone.

A different example is feelings. I often feel foolish. One of the reasons is that I can’t speak English as well as Americans. Sometimes my English is makes them fretful. I often feel it. I can understand them but I am embarrassed in that cases. They often meet foreigners like me. In contrast, in Korea in that case, we have fun, and we help them. Many people want to learn English in the U.S.A, so they are often able to meet foreigners who can’t speak well yet.

This Thanks Giving Day, I was surprised by my cousin’s life with her husband, who is Italian-American. They invited their friends, my husband, and me. We enjoyed some food, and talking. Suddenly I realized something that we had taken off our shoes, but her husband wore his shoes until we were leaving. Moreover, he had not sat on the floor. We had sat with a cushion on the floor. They didn’t care about their style of living. I thought about how to live like them, how to keep balance between their differences of thinking. They not only have lived together, but they also respect their whole life. Moreover, they have loved each other so much.

I have been getting other ideas, and cultures. How to get balance center of the changes is the point. Even in a country people have different thinking and way of life. I am able to be developed my self in this melting pot. I can be multi cultural human.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home