Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Differences between American and Korean

telc students and teacher

Differences between American and Korean

ANA KIM, Dec.01.04

I have lived in Seoul. Now I live in NY temporarily. Living in NY is very different from living in Seoul. Seoul is a capital of Korea. New York isn’t a capital of USA. But many people think New York is a capital of the world, because there are many kinds of population in NY. NY has many immigrants.

Generally speaking, Americans, especially New Yorkers seem to be selfish. But Koreans don’t. Following sentence is only an instance of many things. On the street, I lost my way. I asked policeman, “Which way is to the JFK?” But he said, “I don’t know, I’m not sure.” At that time, I was very surprised. In Seoul, policeman knows every way. I can’t imagine that policeman doesn’t know way. But these days, we can see New Yorker who is very kind. They explain something very kindly that I asked.

In Korea, even though some foreigner speaks Korean very badly, he or she can speak Korean, Koreans try to understand and they smile at them. But in New York, even though there are many immigrants, they feel fearful that speaking English. They are ignored by native speaker. I think Asians are most. I feel very sorry about that. I sometimes feel that.

When we exchange or refund something, if we can’t explain clearly, they ignore foreigner. I saw they had the gages and they chewed gum. I feel very bad. I think immigrants are act more like that who have part time job. New Yorkers are more kind than them these days.

New York has many immigrants. If we want live very well, we help each other. We should be kind to everybody. Life is very hard. We can understand our condition very well. Because we’re facing same kind of situation that living well as a foreigner in another country. Even though there are many differences between America and own country, if you live America, you have to think positive way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home