Saturday, November 20, 2010

jessica L homework 3

Beijing-born pianist Yuja Wang says she started playing the piano when she was about 6.
Her childhood was filled with concerts and competitions in China, Spain and Germany, and with instruction from top concervatiore in the U.S. and Canada.
But by the time she was 18, Wang had made a comfortable place for herself as a kind of pinch hitter. the one to call when older, perhaps more famous pianists couldn't make it to their concerts.
Now, at 22, Wang has made a project of her own: Her CD of piano music has been nominated for a grammy .
"It was very unexpected for me... it's only my first CD," she says about her Grammy nomination. "I actually found out the next morning on facebook."
As a child, Wang had a lot of intensive training. Her first concert was at the age of 7, when her feet still dangled from her chair.
"I had a fake pedal," Wang says with a laugh, "because I couldn't reach. Surprisingly, all of her childhood performances are on YouTube."
In addition to YouTube videos of her early concerts, there's plenty of video of Wang as an adult pianist." She says that adding a visual component to her performances improves the experience.
"That's why I love live concerts, because you can take the music in aurally and visually," Wang says.
When selecting which pieces to include on her album, Wang says it was important to avoid settling for (very famous music that everyone likes), and to show she is serious about the art.
" I wanted to present myself as a serious musician," Wang says. "I mean, those crowd-pleasers are fun, but what I'm really into are big, romantic pieces."
With the attention of the classical world and a Grammy nomination, the future looks promising for this 22-year-old.
"I love music," she says. "It is what interests me. It is what intrigues me."

1 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

Jessica,

Your answers are correct. There was one spelling error (conservatory)and one capitalization error (Grammy starts with a capital G).

Well done.

Sat Nov 20, 06:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home