Friday, October 06, 2006

person who i respect

telc students and teacher
Hannah

Steven Foster


It is so hard to do something the first time. People talk about others easily but they usually don’t have courage, I think. It is like making new road across the mountains to discover new facts or to invent something.

Steven Foster, one of the most famous American composer, composed many popular traditional songs. Even though people who don’t know his name, they know his songs.

He was born in a poor family and had hard childhood. He had to work instead of study in order to make money. But he never gave up his dream. He loved music and wanted to make people happy by his music.

At that time, classic music was considered more valuable than traditional. So his songs were treated badly. People even criticized his songs as too sweet like bubble gum. But people who were low class loved his music. They were encouraged by his songs, and they could forget their hard life while singing them.

These days no one can disrespect him. And people around the world love his songs. I want to be a person like him. Even people don’t like my opinions or thoughts, I want to will not give them up if they are right things.

I have a dream. My major is social welfare so I want to make a difference in society. I saw many people who dreamed like me, but they forgot what their dream was and paid attention only to making money. I wouldn’t like to be like them.

Sometimes being a good social worker needs many things –patience, understanding of others, ability to encourage … - But the most important thing is this, I think. I can not help them, all I can do is making people come through themselves their hardships.

In Korea, social workers can’t make a lot of money ( actually, their salaries are very low) and people don’t want to be them because it is very hard work. But there are many things to do, I want to make a differences in my country. Whenever I have a hard time, I would think about Steven Foster, so I will be a good social worker someday.

2 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

Hannah,

Your dream is a great one. It is a selfless ambition. Someone said that helping other people is the best way to help oneself.

Fri Oct 06, 01:56:00 PM  
Blogger the blog said...

Social workers do heroic work. On the other hand, their field can be difficult because sometimes the social system does not support the work, and as a result the social worker experiences stress and frustration. It's also possible to help people by changing society rather than individuals.

Fri Oct 06, 02:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home