Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Behavior in Ecuador and New York.

Edith Yumiseba.
Level 4.1.
11/22/2005.

Almost all the time I feel comfortable here because I have found a place for my family to live together in a good condition. In New York I find more opportunities for realizing my dreams. When I was in Ecuador, I only spoke Spanish and in my job only need to Know English grammar a little bit. Whereas in New York the official languages that people speak are English, I need to communicate and understand to other people than living here. Generally spiking, Americans waste all their money buying clothes, cars, and luxuries things while for people from Ecuador sometimes saving money is important. Compared to New Yorkers, who think the most important is spending money on luxuries things, for people in Ecuador, the family becomes the standard of behavior. Ecuadorian people tent to dislike Latin Americans being discriminated against their ethnic.
For example, New Yorkers want to buy the last model of cars on sale. We can see in the high way adults and younger people drive new cars. In contrast, Ecuadorian economy is weak. This country has low flowing money and the people don’t earn too much money. When you see high ways in my country, you notice that people drive old cars. Moreover, only richer people drive new cars.
Another example can be our feelings about pet’s love. Since I came here, I was surprised to see many New Yorkers have an excessive love for pets. New Yorkers have opened different business such as, spas, beauty salon, hotels, hospitals, special website of music for cats and dogs, all those are for lovely pets. Moreover, American people love too much their pets. Indeed, pets are lucky for having good owners. That is incredible. Ecuadorian pet’s owners don’t put too much attention in take care their pets. In contrast, New Yorkers pet’s owners have special attention for their pets. In this example I don’t want to say that New Yorkers are more or less susceptible than Ecuadorians. Despite the fact, I think that New Yorkers have better economy than Ecuadorians. Moreover, that is the reason for their different behavior.
New York is a big city where you find different things. New Yorkers know that they should have insurance for cars, houses and health. Medical services and medication are expensive here. In contrast, this stuff is cheaper in Ecuador.
In New York, the poorest and middle-class households have free or small payments to insurance. The richest households don’t have problems paying health insurance. Moreover, people who are sick not only need to visit doctor, but they also get a prescription and they can be able to buying in a pharmacy.
One year ago, I felt sick. I couldn’t move or walk. I had a hard pain in my stomach. My husband was nervous and he carried me into the car, and we went to a nearby hospital. I was in the emergency room. At the first time, I saw on the wall a motto that said, “All people can be assisted. It is not important immigration status or beliefs.” I stayed in the hospital six days. Therefore, the last day, I felt good I got back to my home.
I felt happy. Three days after, coming back to the financial room in the hospital, I was worried because I didn’t have health insurance. The social worker helped me. I didn’t pay to the hospital although I should pay to medical staff. In fact, now I have health insurance. I don’t worry about the future for my family and me because I learned that all people in New York should have health insurance. In contrast, in my country, people need to have health insurance but they can’t because there is more poverty in there.
In fact, New Yorkers and Ecuadorians have different environment and economy, at last, they have different behavior.

1 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

Edith,

The adjustment to life here is not easy. The health care system is especially difficult to navigate.

Mon Nov 28, 04:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home