Monday, November 21, 2005

telc students and teacher

Yun Young Kim
4.1
11.21.2005

Behavior in Korea and New York

My feelings are complicated in New York, but when I was in Korea I felt comfortable about human relations. People in N.Y. seem more selfish than Koreans. They don’t do something that isn’t for themselves.

People in N.Y. tend to hide their mind because there are many foreigners who don’t know when they will come back to their country even whether they will. On the other hand, people in Korea are more honest and frank. People in N.Y. seem selfish and
calculating but people in Korea help the other people themselves.

When I came to N.Y., people were very kind. Setting up a bank account, taking a train, and eating some food, for everything, I was helped by people. At that time, I couldn’t speak English. Now I can speak English a little bit, for active, such as ordering in stores
and cafes, some thing like that. However, I don’t know how to speak about my profession. In order to learn, I have asked for my friend who has lived here for 5 years. At that time, she annoyed me. That is because she wanted me to do something and she
always added stipulations. It was like an agreement or negotiation. In contrast, people in Korea helped me with any situation. There were not stipulations or agreements. It was just a relationship.

People in N.Y. have a free way of thinking. They don’t care about others behavior and dress. But Korean people care about that. The behavior is a little serious. For example, if some woman is smoking on the street, this behavior is not minded by New Yorker. But if the same situation were in Korea, almost all people would look at the woman and some people who were elderly would criticize her.

Sometimes I like a free way of thinking but it is not big problems for me. It is important to think about other people and have a serious minded. My life in N.Y. is made me think about behavior to other people. I am making an effort that I will be a polite person in N.Y.

1 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

That's interesting. I didn't think of Americans as hiding their minds. Americans tend to talk openly, I thought. Maybe what they say and what they think are different? I have to think about that and then talk about it.

Mon Nov 28, 04:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home