Monday, October 17, 2005

the religion of Japan

When I was in Japan, I was'n interested in the religion of Japan. However, since I came to N.Y, I've seen different people who have religions. I began to want to know about my religion while taking English classes at another school. At that time, "Religion in your life" was discussed in the class. When the other students talked about their religions, I felt embaassed because I had nothing to talk about. Although all Japanese students there couldn't describe what the native religion of Japan was, few considered themselves Buddist, even thought they didn't know exactly about buddism. Were Japanese people indifferent to religion? I decided to search the Web for sites about religion. According to the sites, which I looked at. The Japan's major religion was both Shinto(the way of God) and buddism. The two religions have been co-exsisting for several senturies and even have complimented each other. If people had monotheist religions, they would have particular places to play, have scliptures like Bible and there would be some rules to follow. On the other hand, religion had no absolute god like Shinto,
it had neither priests nor scriptures.

Akiko Uchino

1 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

Akiko,

Sometimes it seems that being Japanese is itself a religion. The country and traditions are a source of spiritual sustenance.

Mon Oct 17, 03:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home