Monday, February 28, 2005

telc students and teacher

telc students and teacher

Hi, all,

I'm going to write about my printmaking class.
Have you ever heard about continuing education program? As my memory, each colleges have this system, so everyone who is living in NY has a right to take this program.
It was in September that I came here, so I could speak very limited English at that time. Before coming here, I decided that I would take part in a printmaking class as an continuing education student. Not until a few weeks after my arriving at this city did I register the class at SVA. I knew my English ability was too small to take this class, but simultaneously I believed that I could do it because printmaking is almost physical activity.
In the office of SVA, the first mission was registration for this class. All I had to do was filling in blank of an application and presented it to a staff. However, the room where the class would be opened were not fixed yet. The staff explained me about the situation. She said that they would send me a notice letter later, and she said "is it clear?". A short time afterward, I said yes in small voice although I didn't understand the situation.
Almost same time to begin both an English class at LaGuardia and a printmaking class at SVA. No sooner did the printmaking class start than I realized my English shortage. It was until I came here that I doubted that printmaking is mostly physical works, but, at the first class, a teacher taught us about the process for two hours. Even native English speakers didn't understand all of them, for me, it sounds like a long spell of witches.
Two months after having headache, I became somehow managing everything for printmaking. Honestly, it was marvelous I was able to do better than other students. Of course, I could do well in terms of process, and I couldn't be satisfied with the contents of my result. I decided to take the same class in next semester.
Mainly, there are four types of printmaking that students learn as standard subjects at school. I'm taking Lithography, and it uses aluminum plates, but it used to use stone for it. Stone were left very small amount in 20th century, so people invested a new way to use aluminum plates instead of stone. While new plates are convenience, stone is troublesome. With an aluminum plate, you neither worry it broken nor ask someone to help moving it. In addition, you can save it forever. In fact, an aluminum plate is very useful material. With a stone, on the other hand, not only do you treat careful of it, but you also use a car when you want to move a stone. Moreover, you can't save your image on a stone because we use the stone again and again for curving the surface of the stone. In point of fact, a stone aren't convenience to use. It's true we should be careful about stone, but using stone and using plates differ in terms of quality of drawing. It's totally different from two materials, so Stone Lithography is incredibly beautiful and much much better than Plate Lithography.
Anyway, last semester, I took Plate Lithography, but now I'm taking Stone Lithography. The explanation, the process, and the contents became harder than before. Some students are from the same class that I took last semester, so they asked me about the process sometimes. I appreciated they talk to me, but every time they asked me something, I was just confused what they were asking for. The question was so simple. A short time afterward, I realized what their questions were. It wasn't until they said to me " don't worry, I'll ask someone" and went to look for someone that I said " you mean...". It was too late saying something. Indeed, I felt my English was getting worse these days. This made me so nervous that my attitude became harder in the class. I know if I were a happy person, other people could accept me easily. I'm trying as much as I can, but honestly, I couldn't.
I never regret to take part in this class, and also I'm really enjoying making them. At least once a day, I'm disappointed myself and doubt my ability. Now I'm still in the dark, but one thing, thanks to this disappointment, I should hear the voice deep inside me. To be honest, to be strong, words sounds cheap or silly, but sometimes it could work to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger the blog said...

This inspired me to do some drawing again. Thanks!

Sat Oct 18, 01:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home